Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Heart
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- styrofoam that has been cut into the shape of a heart
- plastic wrap
- 1 tray microwaveable chocolate
- 1 sheet pan
- wax paper
- small bamboo skewers
- 2 bunches of fresh flowers as a filler (such as mini pink and white roses)
- straight pins
- powdered sugar as a garnish
1. Rinse strawberries and gently dry with paper towels. The strawberries need to be dry before dipping.
2. Completely cover heart shaped Styrofoam with plastic wrap.
3. Place a lining of wax paper in the sheet pan.
4. Heat chocolate according to the instructions on the package.
5. Working with one strawberry at a time, gently grasp the strawberry by the top leaves and dip it in the chocolate. Swirl the strawberry as needed to coat 2/3s of the strawberry. The top 1/3 portion should remain chocolate free. Lift the strawberry and softly shake to remove any excess chocolate.
6. Carefully lay the dipped strawberries on the baking sheet lined with wax paper. When the chocolate hardens, loosely cover with tin foil and refrigerate overnight.
7. Remove tin foil.
8. Gently insert the skewer through the strawberry. You should have about a 2 inch clearance of skewer behind the strawberry. Place the strawberry at the top of the heart and carefully insert into the styrofoam. Repeat this process for the top row. Using straight pins, fill any gaps with the flowers. It is best to insert the pin through the stem of the flower. When the first row is completed, repeat this process for the second row. Continue until the entire heart is filled with chocolate-covered strawberries and flowers. Do not forget to do the sides.
9. Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar.
* The amount of ingredients will vary according to the size of the heart shaped styrofoam.