Chicken Gyros and Tzatziki with Tide and Thyme Food Blogger
Tide and Thyme Food Blogger, Laura Davis, joins us in the DelmarvaLife kitchen today to make chicken gyros and tzatziki.
Follow Laura Davis’ food blog here.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 batch tzatziki sauce
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- sliced cucumbers
- 4 (pocketless) pitas
- Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl and add to Ziploc bag. Add in chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning halfway through.
- Preheat the grill (or pan, or broiler). Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and then grill over indirect heat until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side, depending what size/type chicken you are using. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Meanwhile, warm your pita bread. I have a gas stove, so I just spray them with a little bit of oil and stick them right on the burner for a few seconds per side. Top the pita with the chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and lettuce.
- 1 (32 oz.) container of plain yogurt (preferably NOT fat-free)
- 2 regular cucumbers, peeled & seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (I usually use a microplane for this)
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- salt and a little pepper
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Strain yogurt using a cheesecloth over a bowl (if you don’t have that, a strainer lined with a coffee filter will work) for several hours or overnight to get out as much moisture as possible.
- Shred or grate the cucumbers, place them in a clean kitchen towel, and then squeeze to get rid of as much excess moisture as possible.
- Mix together the strained yogurt, shredded cucumbers, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. It’s best to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving, so flavors can meld.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the top before serving.