Ahi Tuna Carpaccio with Chef Lion of the Blue Moon in Rehoboth Beach
- 1 lb sushi grade Ahi Tuna
- ¼ cup aioli (recipe follows)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon sea salt flakes (such a Maldon)
- 30 grams burgundy truffle
- edible blossoms or flower petals (such as chive blossoms or nasturtium)
1.Cut the tuna into 4 equal portions and remove as much of the intramuscular sinew as possible. Don’t worry if the pieces don’t stay intact. Once portion at a time, place the pieces of tuna between two pieces of plastic film and pound thin using a meat mallet. Transfer to a cutting board and using a template as a guide, cut the tuna pieces to the desired shape. Leave the tuna between the pieces of plastic film and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.
2.To assemble, chill four plates large enough to accommodate the cut tuna pieces. Gently peel the plastic from one side of each of the tuna portions and place each one on a plate with the remaining plastic side facing upwards. Gently peel off the remaining plastic. Drizzle each tuna portion with aioli and olive oil. Sprinkle the plates with the sea salt, shallots, chives and flower petals. Shave very thin pieces of truffle directly onto each portion. Finish by squeezing fresh lemon juice on top just before serving.