Peanut Butter and Jelly To Go: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Recipe – Sept. 27, 2017
Ever thought about using a Chinese take-out box to make dessert?
Today on our Facebook Live Show, Chef Deborah Walker showed us how to make an edible chocolate box with peanut butter mousse and strawberry whipped cream.
It was delicious and a lot of fun to make. This sweet treat is one that the kids can help make in the kitchen as well.
Check out the recipe:
Edible Chocolate Box
- 2 (16 oz.) Chinese takeout containers
- 2 (16 oz.) Candiquik microwavable chocolate trays
- cooking spray
Peanut Butter Mousse
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee
- ½ teaspoon hot water
- 8 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons jello powder
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jelly
- few pinches each of ground nutmeg, cloves, and allspice
- Lightly spray the inside of the Chinese takeout containers.
- Melt the microwavable chocolate according to instructions on the package.
- Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, coat the inside of the Chinese takeout container with chocolate. It is best to apply a thin coating, refrigerate for 15 minutes and apply another thin coating. Make sure the entire interior (minus the lid) is covered with chocolate.
- Repeat this process for the other container. Refrigerate until chocolate is hard and ready to be filled with the peanut butter mousse.
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Combine coffee and hot water in a small cup.
- Using a hand held mixer, blend the cream cheese, peanut butter, coffee liquid, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for another minute. Then add the milk and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Remove mixing bowl and beaters from the freezer. Add the cream and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form — about 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently fold peanut butter mixture into the whipped cream until fully incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Again, place a clean metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bowl and beaters from the freezer. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, strawberry jello, jelly, and spices and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on each plate. Spread it out enough to cover the width of the box. This will act as a glue and keep the box from sliding on the plate.
- Carefully cut away the Chinese takeout box with sharp knife. Cut the rough edges of the box so they are smooth. Gently press box (cut side down) on the top of the whip cream.
- Pipe strawberry whipped cream on top of the box.
- Toasted peanuts, fresh strawberries, a shot of Bailey’s, and powdered sugar are just a few of the ingredients that can be used in the presentation.
The plate is a blank canvas, and you are the artist. Have fun and let your creativity lead you to a work of art.