Pasta Alla Carbonara with the Brooklyn Baking Barons
We welcome the Brooklyn Baking Barons back to the DelmarvaLife kitchen today to make pasta carbonara.
- 1 lb of pasta–use a thin, smooth noodle like Spaghetti, Fettucine, or Bucatini. Angel Hair is not recommended.
- 1 lb of Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese
- 6 eggs
- Salt & Pepper
- Read this whole recipe first. Timing is key.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. It should be salty like the sea. Boil your noodles per the package directions, until they are “al dente”, about 10-12 minutes.
- When the pasta goes into the water, cook the bacon in a large sauté pan until it’s crisp but still chewy. Set the cooked bacon aside and keep it in the pan so it stays hot.
- While the noodles are boiling and the bacon is cooking, whisk 4 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Add the Parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper to taste and whisk a few more times to combine.
- And now the magic! In a large bowl, add the bacon and bacon fat. Drain your noodles, and add them immediately to the bowl and toss with tongs. Then, mixing steadily, add the egg and cheese mixture to the hot noodles. The noodles will cook the egg into a wonderful sauce, but they must be kept moving. Serve immediately.