Pan Seared Dayboat Scallops, Bacon Braised Red Cabbage and Maple Mustard: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Recipe – Dec. 27, 2017
There are many different variations of scallop dishes.
Vice President and Chef of SoDel Concepts, Doug Ruley, joins us in the DelmarvaLife kitchen to show us his take on scallops.
Be sure to check out SoDel Concepts website to find a restaurant near you!
Pan Seared Dayboat Scallops
Bacon Braised Red Cabbage & Maple Mustard
- 12 ea. U10 dry sea scallops
- 1 head red cabbage, rough chopped
- 8 oz. slab bacon, small dice
- 2 honey crisp apples, small dice
- 4 oz. dried cranberries
- 8 oz. balsamic
- 1 orange, sliced in half
- 2 sprig rosemary
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ¼ lb. unsalted butter, diced
- Salt/black pepper
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 oz. canola oil
- In a heavy bottom pot render the bacon for 10 minutes on low, stir occasionally. Next add red cabbage and toss. Cook for 5 minutes then add rosemary, cranberries, fennel seed and balsamic. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Juice orange and add butter in to cabbage, stir. Turn off and let rest.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet or sauté pan to medium heat. Pat dry the scallops with a paper towel. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add scallops to the pan and sear until golden, 3 minutes then flip for 1 additional minute.
- In a small bowl add maple and mustard. Mix until incorporated.
- On a large serving platter add cabbage, arrange scallops and drizzle maple mustard over entire dish. Serve immediately.