Mushroom Salad with the Robert Morris Inn
We’re making a light dish packed with fall flavors!
Chef Mark Salter of the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford shows us how to prepare Farmers Market Wild Mushroom Salad with Smoked Bacon, Maple-Roasted Butternut Squash, Crumbled Goat Cheese, Toasted Cashews, Dried Cranberries and Spiced Apple Cider Vinaigrette.
- 1lb farmers Market Greens (your choice)
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced smoked Bacon
- 12oz mixed farmers Market Wild Mushrooms
- 1 table spoon chopped diced shallot, 1 clove finely chopped garlic, 1 tea spoon chopped fresh thyme.
- ½ cup dried Cranberries
- 1 each butternut squash (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- 1 table spoon olive oil plus 2 table spoons grade A maple syrup
- 1 each 11oz log crumbled goat cheese
- ¾ cup roasted cashews
- Spiced Apple cider vinaigrette
- 1 cup local apple juice
- 1 table spoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 table spoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fall spices (cinnamon, allspice and ground ginger)
- 1/3 cup blended oil (90% veg oil 10% olive oil)
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Pour 2 table spoons olive oil into a pre heated frying pan then add the diced apple smoked Bacon.
- Cook for 1 minute before adding the Sliced farmers Market mushrooms followed by the chopped shallots and garlic and fresh thyme. Season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, remove from the pan.
- In a separate frying pan add the 1 table spoon olive oil, followed by the diced butternut squash seasoning with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the maple syrup and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the apple cider together with Dijon mustard, the lemon juice, honey and the apple cider vinegar.
- Slowly whisk in the blended oil. Season with fall spices, kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Season the farmers Market greens with salt and pepper. Add the spiced apple cider vinaigrette and gently toss until the leaves are coated with the dressing.
- Carefully arrange in a bowl, top with the sautéed bacon and mushrooms, finish with the crumbled goat cheese, maple roasted butternut squash, roasted cashews and the dried cranberries