Miniature Scrapple & Gouda Cheese Egg Rolls with Chef Scott Kemp
Scott Kemp prepared for us his award-winning miniature scrapple egg rolls, and they were to die for!
Scrapple & Gouda Cheese Mini Egg-Rolls
Loaded with cheese, apple and scrapple, these egg rolls are perfect for your next family gathering or
PREP TIME: 20 min
TOTAL TIME: 60 min
– Cook scrapple on medium low, stirring to soften and break apart the scrapple, browning the scrapple
– Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
– Melt together butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a sauce pan.
– Warm the apple juice in microwave for 30 seconds, add to the sugar butter mixture.
– Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
– In a separate bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. of cold water, mix well.
– Add to apple juice mixture, stirring with whisk.
– Reduce heat to low, simmer until thickened (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
– Once scrapple has cooled, fold in grated cheese and apple sauce and stir briskly or pulse in food
processor, about 3-4 pulses; for a consistency close to pizza dough.
– Pack mixture into a ball and wrap with plastic, refrigerate at least 2 hours.
– Unwrap scrapple mixture, break into chunks, about 2 teaspoons each and form into a cylinder shape.
– Lay wanton wrappers down as a diamond shape.
– Place scrapple cylinder in the center of the wanton wrapper, horizontally.
– Using your fingers or a small brush wet the far edges of the wanton wrapper.
– Fold in the side corners on the wanton first, and tuck in the excess wanton around the filling.
– Next, wrap the near corner over the filling and roll away from you.
– Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat until all filling is used. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
– Deep fry at 350° for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
– Serve with Apple Cinnamon Sauce.