Lobster Bisque, Spinach and Caprese Salad, Seared Sea Scallops with Orzo Pesto Pasta, and Ganache Parfait with The Brick Hotel: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Recipes – Feb. 7, 2018
Valentine’s Day is one week away. You read that correctly – just one week!
If you do not have Valentine’s Day plans with your other half yet, we’ve got two ideas for you. Either head to The Brick Hotel on the Circle in Georgetown, Del. for their four-course Valentine’s Day special, or try to make the dishes for yourself that we cooked on the show today.
Chef Michael Smith showed us how to make the four-course meal they will be serving on Valentine’s Day. The meal includes lobster bisque, spinach and caprese salad, seared sea scallops with an orzo pesto pasta, and for dessert – a ganache parfait.
The Brick Hotel was built in 1836 and the historic building includes a 14-room inn along with a casual, full service restaurant and tavern featuring classic American cuisine. They feature nightly specials and have many events throughout the year. Check out their Facebook page to stay up-to-date with all the exciting things happening at The Brick Hotel. Also, if you would like to make reservations for their Valentine’s Day dinner, Chef Michael says to call soon to book your dinner – 302-856-1836.
A rich and creamy lobster based soup topped with poached lobster meat
- 1⁄2 lb lobster meat, cut into small chunks (hold back Claws for Garnish)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon lobster base (better than bullion)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a sauté pan heat a little oil over med-high heat and sauté shallots, onions, and garlic for one minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Add the Worcestershire, tabasco and sauté for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Add the paprika, hot water and lobster base and combine well.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in heavy cream and the butter and bring to a boil.
- Add the lobster and simmer until cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley and Claw Meat
Spinach and Caprese Salad
A bed of baby spinach topped with Heirloom Tomatoes, creamy Mozzarella, and fresh basil drizzled with a Balsamic & Honey reduction
- 1lb fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes
- ½lb fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup balsamic reduction
- Slice tomatoes evenly and thin about ¼ inch thick
- Slice mozzarella into even slices about ¼ inch thick
- Divide spinach evenly between 2 plates
- Working from left to right onto of spinach alternate tomato and mozzarella several times ending with a tomato on top. Fan tomato and cheese out like a deck of cards.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over spinach and tomatoes
- 3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup clover honey
- Bring Honey & Vinegar to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until desired thickness
Seared Sea Scallops on a bed of Orzo Pesto Pasta
Jumbo Outer Banks Sea Scallops, pan seared and lightly seasoned, on a bed of Orzo Pasta tossed in a flavor bursting Pesto Cream Sauce
- ½ lb fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 small shallots
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- using a food processor blend basil, garlic, nuts and shallots until a thick paste is formed
- continue blending at med to high while slowly drizzling olive oil into pest then season to taste
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 8 to 10 large dry packed sea scallops
- 1 lb cooked orzo pasta
- ¼ cup pesto
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon of butter non salted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a medium sized sauté pan on high heat melt butter allowing time to heat pan
- Season scallops to taste and place face down in butter for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown turn scallops completely over and turn off the heat to pan. (residual heat will finish cooking scallops
- In a separate sauté pan on high heat whisk pesto & Cream until blended. Bring to a rapid boil add butter reduce heat to a simmer and reduce until desired thickness.
- Add cooked orzo to pesto sauce mix well and plate. Gently set scallops on top of the pasta and garnish with a basil leaf.
Sweet and rich indulgent Chocolate Ganache, alternated with a crisp and vibrant Crème Fraiche and sprinkled with fresh Blueberries & Strawberry slices
- 8oz chocolate broken up
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter (room Temp)
- Using a double boiler system melt chocolate and cream until smooth and creamy
- Add Butter and whisk to combine evenly
- Allow to cool to room temp
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk (Optional Lemon juice instead)
- In a glass container combine ingredients and let sit at room temp for 12 to 16 hours the stir and refrigerate until thickened
- In a long stem martini glass alternate Ganache, Crème, Ganache & crème. Top with your favorite berry or fruit.