Healthful Cravings Food Blogger Alyson Hickman Prepares Fun, Easy School Lunches
Back-to-school means back to packing lunches.
Registered Dietitian Alyson Hickman of Healthful Cravings joins us in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen to show us two fun and healthy recipes, Easy Taco Salad, and Lunch “Sushi.” The recipes are below.
Easy Taco Salad
Calories per serving: 323 cal
Protein per serving: 35 g
Carbs per serving: 15 g
1 lb lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
6 cups romaine lettuce (chopped)
1 container of cherry tomatoes
1/2 can black beans
1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 cup low fat shredded cheddar
4 Tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
4 Tbsp salsa
1. Add ground beef and taco seasoning to pan over medium-high heat and cook until beef is completely browned (about 8 mins). Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Prepare vegetables by draining and rinsing beans, and cutting lettuce and tomatoes.
3. Add lettuce, vegetables, beef, and cheese to bowl and top with 1 Tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt and 1 Tbsp salsa and enjoy!
Servings: 3 (1 serving = 1 & 1/3 cucumbers)
Calories per serving: 239 cal
Protein per serving: 21 g
Carbs per serving: 26 g
6 oz skinless rotisserie chicken
2 low-fat string cheese
1/2 cup sushi rice (cooked)
1 bell pepper
1/4 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbsp light mayo
1 tsp sriracha
1. Pull rotisserie chicken off bone, and remove skin. Prepare “sushi” ingredients by cooking sushi rice (this is stickier rice) and slicing peppers thin. Cut string cheese into halves.
2. Cut ends off of cucumber and hollow out the insides. Stuff cucumber with sushi rice, chicken, peppers, carrots, and cheese stick. Slice into 1 inch think slices.
3. Prepare spicy mayo by mixing light mayo and sriracha in a separate bowl. Lay “sushi” out on plate and drizzle with about 1/2 Tbsp mayo and enjoy!
*I served mine with a little wasabi and low-sodium soy sauce!*