Grilled Shrimp with Pigeon Pea Escabeche with Chef Jonathan Spivack
Chef Jonathan Spivack is in the DelmarvaLife kitchen making grilled shrimp with pigeon pea escabeche.
- 1 lb. 16-20 gulf shrimp
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 bag of mini sweet peppers seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- red pepper flakes
- 2 cans pigeon peas, Goya Green Pigeon Peas
- Peel and devein shrimp, place in sealable bag with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning. Toss shrimp in bag to coat.
- In a medium pot saute under medium low heat the onion, garlic, bay leaves, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar for approx 8 minutes until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaves and allow to cool. Add the pigeon peas, cilantro, sweet peppers, jalapeno pepper and salt.
- Stir, taste and add more salt and/or red pepper flakes if needed. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve at room temperature.