Eastern Shore Eggs Benedict and Pepper Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna on Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Bill’s Prime Seafood and Steaks
We are putting an Eastern Shore twist on the classic Eggs Benedict in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen.
Steve Potts, owner of Bill’s Prime Seafood and Steaks in Chincoteague, stops by to show us how it’s done. He also shows us how to make Pepper Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna on Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
Eastern Shore Eggs Benedict
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 pieces of cornbread, warmed
- 4 slices Virginia ham, warmed in a skillet
- Dash of paprika
- 3 egg yolks
- Juice of 2 whole lemons
- 2 sticks butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Dash of salt
- Add the egg yolks to a blender or a food processor. Add in the lemon juice and blend for several seconds.
- With the blender on, slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Turn off the blender and add in a little salt. Whip it again until combined. Set this aside for a minute.
- Next, poach an egg by gently cracking an egg into simmering, slightly bubbling water. Leave the egg alone for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, and then remove it with a slotted spoon and carefully place it on a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To serve, place cornbread on a plate. Top the cornbread with a warm slice of Virginia ham. Place the warm poached egg on top. And then drizzle on some warm hollandaise. Sprinkle a little paprika or top.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for baking dish
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together until there are no dry spots (the batter will still be lumpy). Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and tester inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Pepper Crusted Ahi Tuna on Cinnamon Spiked Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1- 8 oz Sushi grade Ahi tuna or 2- 4oz. smaller pieces
- 2 tbs roasted red pepper & garlic seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-tsp butter
- 3- 4 tbsp. canola oil (enough to cover bottom of frying pan)
- In a shallow bowl or plate, mix together roasted red pepper & garlic seasoning with freshly cracked black pepper. Press the tuna steak firmly into the seasoning, coating only one side.
- Heat the oil to about 350 degrees the tuna and sear a couple of minutes.
- Flip the fish and sear another 2 minutes.
- If you like your fish to be less raw, sear 3 or 4 minutes per side. It also depends on the thickness of the tuna.
- Place mashed sweets on plate, top with seared Ahi, drizzle with butter.
- 2- sweet potatoes (baked, peeled & mashed)
- 2-Tbsp brown sugar
- 1-tbsp sugar
- 1-tsp cinnamon
- 1- Tsp butter (melted)