Crepes with Roasted Blueberry Sauce and Sweet Ricotta Filling with Turnbridge Point
We recently celebrated National Pancake Day and National Crepe Day was earlier this month also!
Chef Steve Konopelski from Turnbridge Point in Denton is here and he’s making Crêpes with Roasted Blueberry sauce and Sweet Ricotta filling.
- 50g granulated sugar
- 75g All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Zest of one orange and one lemon
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 150 mL milk, room temp
- 100 mL heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, salt, flour, and zests in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Place eggs, milk, cream, and vanilla bean paste in liquid measuring cup and whisk until combined.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth and combined. Batter will be very runny.
- Strain into clean container and chill for about 30 mins up to overnight.
- Use a good clean non-stick fry pan, 8″ to 10″ is best. Heat on stove top at medium heat until warm. Spray pan liberally with cooking spray.
- Use a 1 oz ladle or ¼ measuring cup to pour batter onto the hot pan. Lift pan off of cooking surface and hold steady with left hand.
- Using right hand, pour half the ladle full of batter onto the top center portion of the pan and swirl the batter counter clockwise, then pour the rest of the batter into the middle of the pan and shake to cover the entire surface of the pan. (This takes a couple times to get it right, but do not fear).
- Fry batter on medium heat for about 30-45 seconds, until batter is set. Use a non-stick spatula to loosen the crêpe and flip it over. Fry on reverse side for about 20 seconds until lightly golden brown. Turn out crêpe onto a sheet of parchment paper and top with another piece of parchment.
- Repeat process until batter is finished.
- Crêpes can be used immediately or frozen for up to 6 months. For savory crêpes, eliminate sugar, zests, and vanilla. Increase salt to ¼ tsp.
Sweet Ricotta Filling
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- Pinch kosher salt
- ¼ Cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- Whip cheeses, sugar, salt and vanilla until well combined. Add heavy cream and continue to whip until thick.
- Roasted Blueberry Jam
- 1 lb fresh blueberries
- Juice or 2 lemons
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ granulated sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
- Place all ingredients in oven safe metal dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast in 350 °F oven for 20 minutes, until blueberries have burst and sugar is dissolved. Remove from oven and gently stir. Remove aluminum foil and return to oven or another 15-20 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove dish from oven and remove sprig of basil. Allow to cool completely.
- Store in air tight container in refrigerator for up to one week.