Chesapeake Rockfish and Winter Root Vegetable Salad: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Show Recipes – Dec. 19, 2017
Here on Delmarva, we like to enjoy seafood all year long.
So today on our Facebook Live Cooking Show, we invited Chef Matt Kern with Heirloom in Lewes, Del. to the DelmarvaLife kitchen to show us his take on Chesapeake Rockfish.
The Heirloom restaurant is a refurbished mansion on Savannah Road in Lewes that has been opened for two years. They accept reservations in their dining room seven nights a week and they have a bar as well. There are farm tables for parties up to 12 guests as well that can be booked. Heirloom opens at 5 pm every evening and to make a reservation, call 302-313-4065.
Always use fresh caught skin on Rockfish that has been scaled and washed thoroughly.
- 2 6oz. Portions of rock fish
- 3oz of canola oil or any neutral oil you have
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- season fish on the skin side with kosher salt
- heat pan to medium high heat and add 3 oz of canola oil, once oil is hot but not smoking, carefully place fish skin side down into the pan. Be careful not to splash hot oil!
- lower heat to medium and cook fish for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown and a crust has formed. 3) careful flip fish using a spatula and a spoon and continue cooking for 4 minutes.
- add whole garlic clove and sprig of thyme and begin basting the fish with a spoon.
- transfer filet to a paper towel and le rest for 1 minute
- serve immediately
Winter Vegetable Salad
- 2x watermelon radishes
- 5x breakfast radishes
- 1/2 bulb of fennel
- 5 baby carrots
- 1x yellow beet
- 1 candystripe beet
- 1/4 cup chives cut in 1 inch segments
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
- Kosher salt to taste
- peel and slice all root vegetables paper thin using a mandolin.
- in a large bowl, mix roots, parsley, chives, and 4 tblsp. Of buttermilk dressing.
- season to taste with kosher salt and fresh black pepper.
- serve immediately.
- 1/3 cup dukes mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp. Fresh squeezed lemon juice or grapefruit juice, whichever you may prefer
- 1 large clove of garlic minced 1 tblsp.
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- mince garlic
- mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk until incorporated
- refrigerate for 1 hour before use