Beef Short Ribs with an Orange Cilantro Jalapeno Glaze on a Fried Cheesy Grit Cake with Poseidon’s Pub
We’re making a delicious short rib dish!
Jim Glenn, the executive chef at Poseidon’s Pub, a new restaurant inside Ocean Downs Casino in Berlin, Md., joins us in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen today to make beef short ribs with an orange cilantro jalapeno glaze on a fried cheesy grit cake.
Beef Short Ribs
- Beef Short Ribs, 8oz cut 10 each
- Black Pepper
- Beef Broth 1.5 gal
- Garlic, Minced 2 Tbs
- Carrot, Chopped rough 2 each
- Onion, chopped rough 2 each
- Soy Sauce 1 cup
- Orange Juice 2 cup
- Salt and pepper short rib portions liberally. Let sit overnight (if possible).
- Add remaining ingredients into bottom of a 4 or 6 inch hotel pan. Place roasting rack in pan. Sear short ribs on all sides until brown. Place
ribs on roasting rack in hotel pan. Cover tightly with aluminum.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 2 to 2.5 hours. Meat should be tender and soft. Pull short ribs out of pan to cool. Strain cooking liquid, cool and
reserve for glaze.
Orange Cilantro Jalapeno Glaze
- Beef stock, fat skimmed, from short rib braise 2 qt
- Orange Juice 1 qt
- Soy sauce 1 qt
- Jalapeno pepper, roasted, seeds removed 3 each
- Cilantro stems 1 bnch
- Brown sugar 1 lb
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce slowly until thickened.
- Quick grits 2 cup
- Chicken Stock 2 qt
- White onion. Minced 3 tbs
- Butter 1/4 lb
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded 8 oz
- Jalapeno Pepper, roasted, diced fine, ribs and seeds removed 1 each
- Fresh Chive 2 tbs
- Fresh Cilantro 2 Tbs
- Saute onion in small amount of butter until translucent, add jalapeno pepper.
- Add grits and chicken stock.
- Cook until most moisture is absorbed.
- Stir in remaining butter, cheddar cheese, chive and cilantro.
- Spray half sheet pan with pan spray. Pour hot grit mixture on sheet pan evenly. Cool in refrigerator until firm.
- Mold into cakes with the top of a soup cup.
- For service: Lightly flour outside of cake and brown with oil or clarified butter on griddle or in sautee pan. Serve when hot throughout.