Apple Scrapple Festival Begins Friday
The festival has amassed a large audience since its debut in 1992, as a celebration of the town’s agricultural heritage of locally grown apples from TS Smith and Sons as well as scrapple, a breakfast meat made with pig parts and cornmeal. Bridgeville’s RAPA Scrapple plant has been in the town since 1926 and has helped make Delaware the largest producer of scrapple in the world.
Apple Scrapple attendees can enjoy scrapple chunkin’, amusement rides, kids’ games, live music, car shows, and trade shows throughout the day. Food options include apple fritters, scrapple sandwiches, apple dumplings, oyster sandwiches, barbecue beef, ice cream and more.
“People really enjoy the atmosphere,” said Karen Johnson, executive chair of Apple Scrapple, who noted that the event attracts more than 25,000 people every year.
The festivities begin at 4 p.m. Friday with an opening ceremony followed by the Little Miss Apple Scrapple contest. There will be an all-you-can-eat scrapple breakfast Saturday morning in addition to a full array of over 500 crafters and vendors.
The event is free to the public with no entry costs, free shuttle services and free parking.
“People do not have to spend a dime,” Johnson said.
The Dover Air Force Base will be heading the opening ceremony Saturday morning.
“Each year, we seem to grow bigger and bigger,” Johnson said of the festival.
Friday, Oct. 13
- 4 p.m. Festival Opens
- 6 p.m. Opening Ceremony
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Little Miss Apple Scrapple Contest
- 8-10:30 p.m. Friday Night Street Dance with the Funster’s
Saturday, Oct. 14
- 9 a.m. Festival opens with full array of crafters and vendors
- 9 a.m. DJ: Jumpin’ Jukebox and J&B entertainment
- 10 a.m. Opening ceremony with Dover Air Force Base Honor Guard
- 11 a.m.-noon Flatland Drive
- 12:20-1:45 p.m. Dirt Road Outlaws
- 2-2:45 p.m. Mayoral Scrapple Sling
- 3-4:30 p.m. Lower Case Blues
- 5:00-6:30 p.m. Charlie and the Cooltones
- 6:50-8:30 p.m. Eastwood
- 8:45-10:30 p.m. Up All Night
For more information, visit the event website.