Acorn Squash Stuffed With Apples and Walnuts with Chef Stephanie Wampole
Chef Stephanie Wampole is back in the DelmarvaLife kitchen!
Today we’re making acorn squash stuffed with apples and walnuts.
-1 small-medium squash (acorn, butternut, or even pumpkin!)
– 1.5 cup diced apples (golden delicious or other firm flesh apple)
– 1/2 cup walnuts
-1/3 cup packed brown sugar
– 2 Tbs butter
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp each salt and pepper
– olive oil
-preheat oven to 375
– cut squash in half and clean out seeds fibrous center
-drizzle flesh with olive oil, salt, and pepper and place face down on foil lined baking sheet
– roast until skin can be easily pricked with fork or tooth pick and flesh is soft. (Approx 30 mins)
– while squash cooks, melt butter and brown sugar together in sauce pan
– add in apples and walnuts and cook until apples are just barely softened
– when squash has finished cooking and is slightly cooled, turn over and place apple filling inside where the seeds and fibers used to be and top with cinnamon
– return to oven to cook for 10 mins or until apples are softened and walnuts are toasted.
Can also top with blue cheese crumbles or add in ground turkey to apple mixture for a heartier meal