15th Annual Celebrity Chefs’ Beach Brunch Event and Duck Egg Carbonara Recipe
We’re making brunch in the DelmarvaLife kitchen, but we’re not using the typical egg.
We’re using duck eggs! Chef Brenton Wallace, owner of Crust and Craft in Rehoboth Beach shows us how to make Duck Egg Carbonara.
This dish is all part of the 15th Annual Celebrity Chefs’ Beach Brunch taking place on Sunday, Oct. 1 at the Rusty Rudder in Dewey Beach from 11 am-2 pm. Board Member with Meals on Wheels Delaware, Nicole Bailey, gives us an overview of the event.
Duck Egg Carbonara
Makes 2 to 3 servings
- ¼ lb. Bucatini or Spaghetti
- ¼ cup Bacon
- ¼ cup white onion, white
- 1 Cup Broccoli Florets, Blanched and cooled
- 1 Duck egg or 2 large Chicken Eggs
- 1 cup fresh parmesan, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flake
- ½ cup pasta water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the Bacon into a small dice and add to a sauté pan. Cook this over medium heat.
- Cut the onion into a small dice and add to the pan with the bacon and chile flakes. The fat from the bacon will cook the onion.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the bucatini and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Be sure to reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
- Beat the egg in small bowl along with ¾ of the parmesan
- Add the pasta to the sauté pan with the egg/cheese mixture, broccoli, and pasta water.
- Slowly sauté all of the ingredients together over low heat until the sauce becomes thick, about 30 seconds. Note that the egg should not be scrambled.
- Garnish with the grated parmesan and cracked black pepper.